my personal information on the web via my voter registration

Similar to Johnnie's blog post...have you ever Googled yourself? I do every once in a while to see my digital footprint. Currently, it is all professional. However, when I first Googled myself, I noticed my voter registration was public. This included my age, address, and voting details. I was immediately creeped out and worried because my age, especially my address, is not something I want to be public. I then went on a quest to research why in the world this information is public and learned that some states compile the data and distribute it to third parties (Pults, 2020). In my research, I learned that you can request some of these third-party websites to remove your information. You can read more about these issues through the article referenced below!

Have you searched yourself? Anything surprising you found? What are your thoughts on some states sharing your personal info with third-party websites?

References

Pults, Charles J. "America's Data Crisis: How Public Voter Registration Data Has Exposed the American Public to Previously Unforeseen Dangers and How to Fix It." Iowa Law Review, vol. 105, no. 3, Mar. 2020, pp. 1363+. Gale Academic OneFile, link.gale.com/apps/doc/A628067694/AONE?u=tall85761&sid=bookmark-AONE&xid=55d6b0f9. Accessed 18 June 2023.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the lurker life

staying connected, countries apart

reddit - finding comfort and resources in an online community