produsage in the classroom

For example, one might create a blog for students, but if the students aren't engaged in produsage (as defined by Bruns) is it really an instance of social media-based learning?

Do you think instructors should aspire to produsage in the classroom? In what settings/contexts? When should it be avoided?

I have been reflecting a lot on the questions above and wondering what the right answer is. I keep using instances of our class where the answer to these go one way but then further thinking takes me another route.

Overall, an educator must first set the intentions with social media-based activity and learning. What are the learning goals? What are the activities? What are the affordances? What is the social media tool? Can lurking be considered engagement? All these questions popped in my head.

There should be produsage in the classroom. I think what's produced can yield data that then produces a grade. However, I don't think should be an overloaded task for the student. I like how Dr. Dennen has set up the EME6414 course. We must complete 3 blogs and the rest is our choice/adventure. I don't feel forced to do every other single activity but because it's our choice and Dr. Dennen finds ways to authentically engage the students, I am more willing to produce something because I want to and not because I have to.

Reading Zgheib and Dabbagh's article (2020), I noticed how mandatory use of social media learning activities (SMLAs) was required and "may ensure student engagement." I do think when it's mandatory...it will surely engage students. However, what would that product look like if some things were mandatory while other things were optional? What can you implement to engage students if you made it optional?

I think produsage with social media-based learning should be avoided if it's a completely blank slate, like Dr. Dennen discussed in this week's shared reading, Instructional design and development for social media lessons. If our weekly Canvas discussion threads were blank with just a "talk about this week's tools and readings"...there would be little produsage. BUT Dr. Dennen adds discussion questions to facilitate conversations among the student, creating discourse! 


References

Dennen, V. P. (manuscript in progress). Instructional design and development for social media lessons.

Zgheib, G. E., & Dabbagh, N. (2020). Social media learning activities (SMLA): Implications for design. Online Learning24(1), 50-66.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the lurker life

staying connected, countries apart

reddit - finding comfort and resources in an online community