teens using social media to diagnose themselves - where do we go from here?

Teens are using social media to diagnose themselves with ADHD, autism and more. Parents are alarmed article.

This course has definitely helped me see the "good" side of social media and all the benefits it can bring. While we discuss new tools and their benefits, negative aspects of social media are heavily discussed in our current news. One of the most significant topics relates to social media use by teenagers. 

This topic stands out to me because I was a former educator that worked with middle schoolers. Yes, I saw many of the things this article discussed. I look back at my teenage years and consider how these terminologies were nonexistent. Would it have been different if we had access to online information like today's youth? Absolutely. Is it a bad thing? I don't know...it's very complex.


Is this why digital citizenship is essential? How can we teach teenagers healthy social media behaviors? Can this be fixed?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the lurker life

staying connected, countries apart

reddit - finding comfort and resources in an online community